As a homeowner, you never want to consider having termites because you know how much damage they cause to structures. But termites can and do happen to homes just like yours. Every year, termites and other wood boring pests cause $30 billion in damage to crops, businesses and homes in the U.S. The average homeowner will spend $3,000 to repair all that damage.
It’s generally recommended you get a termite inspection in Nashville every couple of years to ensure termites aren’t causing damage behind the scenes. Usually by the time you find out you have termites, a bulk of the damage has been done. You can be on the lookout for these telltale signs of infestation in between professional inspections. Watch for ...
Blisters in Your Wood Flooring
Blisters in your hardwood is a sign termites are nesting and feeding under the surface. But blistering can also be a sign of water damage and age, so always get a termite inspection to be safe.
Damaged or Hollowed Wood
If there is damage to your wood floors, furniture or other wooden elements, termites could be to blame. You may have overlooked those little marks on your wood surfaces, but if you ignore them, the damage will become more complex and expensive over time. Likewise, if you see hollowed wood in your furniture or structural supports, this is a result of termites chewing through wood, which will eventually weaken those structures.
Termite droppings resemble tiny grains of rice that are tan, brown or black in color. They are easily confused with crumbs and other food debris, so look closely. You may find termite droppings specifically near sources of wood.
Reasons Why You Need a Termite Inspection
While not required by law, it still behooves you to get regular termite inspections, as it can save you a lot of hassle and money down the line. Here are the top reasons why you need termite inspections in Nashville.
- Termites are active even if you can't see them: Termites cause significant damage but catching them in the act is difficult. Only a licensed termite inspector can know for certain if you have termites. Did you know these insects can live in your house for up to five years before their colonies are big enough to cause significant damage? Just because you can’t see them doesn’t mean they’re not there.
- Termite damage is expensive: The National Pest Management Association says termites alone cause more than $5 billion in household property damage annually, which is not covered by homeowners insurance.
- Termite inspections are thorough: The typical termite inspection lasts between one and two hours depending on the size of your home. The inspector will check the interior and exterior for visible signs of infestation such as damaged wood, mud tubes, broken wings, or droppings.
What You Can Do
There are some preventive steps you can take to keep termites away from your house to begin with. You can:
- Make sure water is directing away from the home.
- Keep mulch and wood piles well away from the foundation.
- Be on the lookout for signs of termites and their damage, such as swarmer wings, warping, and discarded droppings.
- Look for patterns in floors, walls and ceilings.
Contact PureGuard Pest Control
Once termites have set up shop in your home, only an experienced Nashville exterminator can fix the problem. Here at PureGuard, we use the Trelona Termite Colony Elimination System for eliminating and preventing termite infestations. Extensively tested and researched, this system is the most effective method of termite removal available. If you need help with termites, call our Pleasant View pest control technicians at 615-502-2855 for your get free quote.